This trans-Africa overland tour has one departure per year.
Click on a tour below to submit a booking form, or Contact Us for more information.
The Trip Price is payable as a deposit of GBP600 to secure your place on the expedition, and then the balance is payable 10 weeks prior to the start date of the expedition.
The Local Payment (LP) is part of your overall trip payment and is the most cost effective and practical way to get hard currency to Africa to pay for a variety of your day-to-day local costs (i.e. all meals prepared by the group, campsite fees, gas, and certain activities listed in the brochure) which cannot be pre-paid from the UK. The Local Payment is payable to your Tour Leader on departure cash only – for the UK to Cairo overland tour it is usually payable 80% in US Dollars and 20% in Euros although an exact breakdown will be emailed to you in more detail 4-6 weeks prior to departure. Please Note: Your Tour Leader will only accept US$ notes (especially $100) that are issued on or after 2006 as older notes are more difficult to change.
- Flight from UK to Gibraltar
- Camping fees (including 1st night’s accommodation in Cape Town and Cairo)
- 1st night’s accommodation in Cape Town and Cairo
- Minimum 2 meals per day (on average)
- All transport on Oasis Expedition Truck
- All road tolls & ferry crossings
- Camping & cooking gear
- Services of Oasis Overland crew
- Included Activities
- Visas USD 1,500 – USD 1,790 (cost depends on nationality, most can be obtained en route)
- 4 day lay-over costs in Cape Town
- 3 or 4 day lay over costs in Nairobi
- Meals taken while in hotels/hostels, and drinks – note the operator recommends you budget around GBP 4000 for spending money for the overland tour from UK to Cairo, this should cover you for meals out, drinks, communications, souvenirs, general spending as well as your layover in Cape Town
- Flights, Airport taxes and transfers
- Travel insurance
- Contingency route expenses
- Optional activities, including Gorilla Trekking Permit (bookable at time of tour booking)
Note re contingency route expenses
It is important to bear in mind that should it not be possible to enter a certain country due to safety concerns, visa problems or political turmoil etc, and it becomes necessary to fly over a country in order to continue a trip, that all your costs for flights will be borne by you and not the operator.
If the section of the route through DRC/Angola appears to be an unviable option (due to security or problems procuring visas) the expedition vehicle would be shipped from Cameroon to either Namibia, South Africa or Kenya. This will necessitate a flight from Cameroon to either Nairobi (where you would be met by another one of the operator’s vehicles) or to Namibia or South Africa to rejoin the Trans Africa vehicle. Flights cost from €350 to €550. However, every safe and reasonable effort will be made by Oasis to drive all the way and keep the continuity of the trip overland. If you do have to fly you will miss Gabon, DRC, Congo & Angola, but the operator will endeavour to take in other places of interest if time permits. While the operator will cover all ground and transport costs, the cost of any flights will have to be paid for by each individual.